Basic Kitchen Vocabulary


Hello. Are you hungry? You better get to the kitchen. "The chicken? The kitchen." Chicken

-- kitchen. Today, I'm going to teach you about vocabulary that you will find very useful

if you've ever been in a kitchen. Now, the thing that's confusing sometimes is that when

you want to say "kitchen", you say "chicken". Oh, no! It's okay. It's funny. I do it all

the time. Do I do it all the time? It's a very natural mistake. So if you're ever having

a conversation in English, and you say "chicken" instead of "kitchen", don't worry. But we're

going to go through some kitchen vocabulary. My name is Ronnie. Let me take you through

the magic of the kitchen. The very, very first word that I'm going to

teach you is "nuke". "Nuke?" "Nuke" is a verb, and it's a new word from the 1980s. That's

so new. It's 30 years old. "Nuke" is the verb that we use for a microwave. A microwave maybe

came out in 1981; I don't know. I remember in my house getting one in 1983, and I could

make popcorn, and it was amazing. So about the 1980s, we had this amazing thing called

a "microwave". You probably know what a "microwave" is. But if you don't, it's like a little oven

that cooks your food really, really quickly. We actually developed a new word for this.

We call it "nuke". So I can say, "I nuke my food." That means, "I put my food in the microwave."

Ding, ding, ding! And it's ready to eat. The next thing that we have is an "oven" or

a "stove". Now, "oven" and "stove" -- same word. It does not matter if you say "oven"

or "stove". Who cares? I don't. An "oven" or a "stove" -- properly, the "stove" is actually

a "stove top" where you would put things on top of the stovetop. And the "oven" is actually

this part inside where you open the door. Inside the oven part, at the bottom here,

you can bake a cake for me. I like cheesecake. If you'd like to bake me a cake, please do

send it to me at I will be happy to eat it. You can "grill" or "broil".

Now, "grill" and "broil" are the same. It just depends on what your oven says. When

you "bake" something, the heat comes from the top and the bottom of the oven, and it's

distributed throughout. If you "grill" or "broil" something, the heat comes from the

top, and it cooks it on the top of the meat or whatever you're cooking. So the "broil"

and the "grill" -- the heat comes from the top. And "bake"; the heat comes from the top

and the bottom. So depending on what you're cooking would be the setting on what you're

going to use on your oven or your stove. When we bake something, we usually have a

certain temperature -- 250 degrees, or you can have 400 degrees. One is Fahrenheit, and

one is Celsius. Most of them have both, but if you don't know on your recipe, you could

always look on the Internet. It's magic. The next thing -- speaking about magic -- is

a toaster. This is the most magical machine ever to be invented in your kitchen. Let me

explain the magic of the toaster. You take a simple piece of bread. You put it in the

toaster; press the button down; you wait. "Bing!" Out comes lovely, warm, crusty toast.

This machine, very simply, is called a "toaster". So you put bread into the toaster -- like

magic, it becomes "toast". The next appliance we have is a "kettle".

Now, if you like to drink tea or coffee, you're going to love to have a kettle. A "kettle"

is a machine that boils water. You can have one on your stovetop, or you can also have

one that plugs into the wall. I'm not a very good artist -- or am I? But if you can kind

of use your imagination, these both are called "kettles"; they're used for boiling water.

Do you like coffee? I love coffee. We also have what's called a "coffeemaker". I know.

Sometimes, English makes sense. Guess what this makes. Coffee. So you press some buttons

-- some magic; water turns into coffee. It's like water into wine but not as nice. Better

in the morning, though. The next thing that we have, another big appliance

-- these, by the way, are called "appliances" -- is a "refrigerator". We never bother saying

"refrigerator". We say "fridge". And on top of the fridge, we have a "freezer". Now, all

of it is called a "fridge", but the top part is called a "freezer". A "freezer" is where

there's going to be ice, and things in it are going to be frozen. Frozen. So let's say

that you have a delicious frozen dinner, and you want to nuke it. You're going to put it

in the microwave. At the bottom part of your refrigerator is

the "fridge". In this, you're going to keep your beer and your milk and maybe some fruit

and vegetables. This keeps things cold. The last one that I have for you today is

a "sink". This was difficult for me to draw, so please bear with. A "sink" is the place

in your kitchen where you would wash the dishes if you don't have a dishwasher, and where

you would get your water supply. This part here is also called a "counter" or a "countertop".

Usually, in the kitchen, people talk about having lots of "counter space". We don't usually

say "countertop". We usually say the "counter". Now, if you live in some place like Canada

or any place in the world that has fruit, you might see things flying around in this

video. We live in a very, very amazing region in Canada called "Ontario". It's the "Fruit

Belt". We produce naturally -- not oranges. Don't tell anyone. We are very famous for

producing grapes, pears, peaches -- this is a peach. And lots of yummy, delicious fruit.

One problem: Sometimes you take your delicious fruit from Niagara, and you put it on your

countertop in a bowl. But what happens next is treacherous. These tiny little flies come,

and they try to eat your fruit. Someone has left a basket of peaches around us, so if

you see tiny little flies in this video, they're after the fruit. These are actually called

"fruit flys". So watch out. They're here to steal your fruit -- except I've spelled this

wrong. It's "fruit flies" because they fly around your fruit. There's one now! Bye.